School of Nursing
Established in 1927, the School of Nursing of Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital is committed to ensuring a steady supply of qualified and professional nurses, all rigorously trained to meet the Hospital's requirements. We are the only private hospital in Hong Kong that offers registered and enrolled nursing curricula in the School of Nursing, and specialty training in the School of Midwifery. Our staff is devoted to the best care for every single patient and his/her family members, as well as the best services for our doctors. On-the-job training was constantly offered to enhance service quality during the suspension of nurse and midwife training since April 2002.
In November 2004, the 2-year nurse training programme was resumed. Until 2013 eight batches of graduates have entered the nursing profession and are now serving the community. In 2010 we became the first nursing school in Hong Kong to be accredited for conducting the Higher Diploma in Nursing (Enrolled Nurse General) Programme by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ).
A graduation ceremony is held every year, to which dignitaries and members of hospital management are invited to present certificates to the nursing graduates. It marks one of the very pivotal moments in their professional pursuits, a memorable occasion to share and treasure with their tutors, relatives and friends.
Graduation Ceremony - Photo Album: 2013 | | | | | |
Higher Diploma in Nursing (Enrolled Nurse - General) Programme (Full-time)
Requirements for admission of the annual training programme of Enrolled Nurses (General):
- Grade E in one subject of Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE) (A Level); or Grade E in two subjects of HKALE (AS-Level), including Use of English and Chinese Language and Culture. and;
- Grade E or above in 5 subjects of Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE), including English Language and Chinese Language.
The subjects required are:
- Chinese Language at Grade D / in Level 3 or above;
- English Language (Syllabus B) at Grade D or above, or English Language (Syllabus A) at Grade B / in Level 3 or above;
- Mathematics at Grade E or above;
- Any one of the following science subjects at Grade E or above: Biology, Chemistry, Human Biology or Physics;
- Any one other subject at Grade E or above, which may include: Biology, Chemistry, Human Biology, Physics, Chinese Literature, Chinese History, English Literature, History, Geography, Social studies, Economics & Public Affairs, Religious Studies or Buddhist Studies.
- Any one of the subjects listed in (i) to (v) must be at Grade C (or level 3 for English Language or Chinese Language) or above and;
- Met the requirements for pupil nurses as stipulated by the Nursing Council of Hong Kong
The candidate must have Level 2 or above in 5 subjects, including Chinese Language, English Language, Mathematics and any two other subjects in Categories A and B* in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination.
(* For details of Categories A and B subjects, please refer to the "Booklet on Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination" available on the website of the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority at http://www.hkeaa.edu.hk/en/Resources/leaflets)
Language of Instruction: mainly English
Monthly allowance during training; course fee exempted
The qualifications of our enrolled nursing graduates are recognised by the Nursing Council of Hong Kong. Graduates with outstanding results might be offered interest-free loans to enroll in nursing programmes organised by universities and become registered nurses.
Local Training of Registered Nurses:
The programme is opened for application annually and the admission requirement is as below:
Applicant must be the graduate from the Higher Diploma in Nursing (Enrolled Nurse-General) in HKSH and meet one of the following minimum entrance requirements:
- English Language and Chinese Language at Level 3 or above, and Mathematics and Liberal Studies at Level 2 or above; and 1 elective subject from Category A- New Senior Secondary Subjects at Level 2 or above;
- For those with HKDSE result of Chinese/ English language lower than 3, they must attain Mathematics and Liberal Studies at Level 2 or above; and 1 elective subject from Category A - New Senior Secondary Subjects at Level 2 or above; plus grade B (GPA 3) or above in the Chinese and/ or English subject in the Higher Diploma in Nursing (EN - General) in HKSH
- For candidate who does not satisfy the above-mentioned requirements but has reached the age of 25, possesses 3 years of post-registration experience of Enrolled Nurse in HKSH and demonstrates proficiency in English and Chinese, they may apply as “mature” students.
For the details of ‘Category A- New Senior Secondary Subjects’, please refer to the information on the website of Education Bereau.
Teaching Medium: English
All graduates with satisfactory academic result and professional performance will be recommended to the Nursing Council of Hong Kong for the registration as a Registered Nurse.
Jointly organised by the Hospital and the Hong Kong Polytechnic University since September 2008, a 3-year (full-time) Master Programme of Nursing is offered to all non-nursing degree holders. For more details, please go to